Saturday, February 26, 2005

Passion (delayed)

I found this entry in a forgotten text file on my hard drive, something I'd written on 6/11/04, and was glad to see I'd been consistent with my other posts of the past few months. The author of the linked article has a blog which I read regularly, as much for its links to other blogs about self-improvement, maximising potential and other buzzwords as anything else. Anyway, back to the past...

One of my continued focuses (focii?), making sure that I love my work as much as the rest of my life.

Here are some steps along the path.

I've spent a lot of time in the past 15 years working out what it is that I want to do with my life. Long before I worked, I had to avoid making a decision about what my education path would be. So a double degree meant I could hedge my bets for another couple of years. After a couple of years of that, I discovered that engineering wasn't for me, but building IT systems wasn't so bad. Then, in my final year of Uni, the course structure changed to emphasise team work, where I really flourished. I started work at the ABS not because I knew how awesome the environment would be, but because I was sick of looking for jobs, and they'd offered me one.

Almost 8 years further down the track, I've progressed from a full-time coder to a part-time team leader/coach/business analyst (and occasional coder). Being part-time allows me to devote my full energy to every hour I'm at work, instead of the watered down version which my health limited me to over 5 full days. I'm almost certain I get as much (or more) done in 80% of the time, and enjoy it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment