Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The week so far

After complaining about boredom at work for some time (about 18 months), it reached (another) breaking point for me on Monday. From the moment I woke up, I was resigned to writing code, and throughout the day I hardly spoke to anyone. I became more frustrated as the day went on, and by 3.30 decided I was wasting my time even being at work. So I packed up my laptop and headed home early, immediately heading out to the gym to do weights. Thankfully, exercise did the trick, and all the stress I had allowed to build up dissipated, allowing me an enjoyable evening of TV watching (including an excellent episode of Mythbusters) and 2 hours of refactoring the crap code I'd written during the day, ending up with something I was much happier with. So I went to bed feeling pretty good, discarding my sulky work day as an anomaly and ready to throw myself at more tasks the next day.

I awoke refreshed and positive, and that better attitude was reflected in a much improved work day. At least some of my time was spent away from my computer, discussing things with people and having another tunnel light shone in my direction, with the promise of a real team leader role again. Basically, since I moved to my current section I've felt that it's 1 or 2 managers "heavy" and I've been in a position on the outside, not wanting to steal work/opportunities from anyone else while remaining dissatisfied with my day to day job (I love to play the martyr :). Now 3 of the 5 managers in our section are moving to other areas, giving me more room to create the role I want without stepping on toes. (Tentative) yay!

In X-Files news, I'm now 2 episodes into Season 7, with the promise of the comedic gold of X-Cops, First Person Shooter and Hollywood A.D. The arrival of three seasons of The Micallef Program has slowed down my X-watching, but not by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment